my very first essay. Please help me to evaluate it. Thanks

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
luong thanh trung

my very first essay. Please help me to evaluate it. Thanks

Post by luong thanh trung »

Topic: some people think that universities should provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in the workplace. Others think that the true function of a university should be to give access to knowledge for its owns sake, regardless of whether the course is useful to an employer
What, in your opinion, should be the main function of a university

It is widely believed that university acts as a main drive for economic growth, a strong foundation for individuals prosperity and social mobility. However, presently, the main function of university is a big debate among educationists and employers. Some people think that universities should only provide students with knowledge and skills which are essential in their workplace. On the other hand, others believe that the true function of a university should be to give access to knowledge for its own sake. Personally, i strongly think universities should shift their main concern on students employability rather than on academic subjects.
Judging by the situation nowadays, youth unemployment seems to increase with a rapid pace. The main culprit of this phenomenon is believed to be the unpractical and unrealistic curricula at provided by universities. Therefore, schools and universities should change their teaching system and focus on improving and providing students with needed skills in the workplace. To be more specific, for students who aim to be the self-employed in the future, then skills related to entrepreneurship should be the main focus. For students who wish to work for a big company, earning salaries and wages, then skills such as team-work, critical thinking, problem solving must be concentrated and improved. Moreover, the very first thing that universities should teach is academic integrity to make sure students, in the future, will be good citizens who strictly uphold the laws.
That is not to say we should forget and overlook other academic subjects such as music, geography, history, literature and so on. There is no subjects which should be deemed useless in academic environment. All subjects solve different purposes, which, at some point of our life, may be useful. For example, history, literature provide us useful information about our past, our culture, which in turn bring up the sense of cultural identity. Therefore, universities should spend a fair amount of time and money on those subjects, especially in an era where multi-ability is becoming increasingly important.
In the nutshell, schools should focus on teaching essential skills for future employment without overlooking and forgetting about other subjects.
vinitm

Re: my very first essay. Please help me to evaluate it. Thanks

Post by vinitm »

I'm wont evaluate but the essay seems to be very good. All the best.