Letters 5, 6 (Preparation)

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
Gelever

Letters 5, 6 (Preparation)

Post by Gelever »

Hi, guys!
Some more of my recent letters to a friend.
Hoping it will not too boring to read through! ;)
Flick, please, check grammar, I'm not totally sure in places!
IELTS 8.1
You have recently started work in a new company. Write a letter to an English-speaking friend. In your letter:
  • explain why you changed jobs
  • describe your new job
  • tell him/her other news

Dear friend,

I hope you have been keeping well. There have been some changes in my life that I would like to share with you.

I am happy to tell you that I have finally made decision to change jobs. As you know, my previous position as a university instructor was extremely low-paid, less than $1 per hour, and rather stressful. I could not even afford to start a family as I simply was short of time and money. You see, it was just beneath my dignity to stay there. Thus, I sent my CV to ‘HighTech Co.’, an established international corporation specializing on software development. They proposed a position of a ‘Technical Support Engineer’ with an attractive compensation of $15.5 per hour plus regular bonuses, and I accepted. Now, I mainly work directly with foreign clients of the company to provide them with an immediate support by the phone or via e-mail.

I am greatly pleased with my new job and I am thinking of having a baby. Oh, I just forgot to tell you, I moved my house to Monterey (California) as this is much closer to my new office. That seems to be all news.

Hoping to keep in touch,

Andreas

Total: 200

30th of April
Your friend has started a new import-export business in foreign country. He needs your suggestions. Please write him:
  • suggest some products from your country
  • give details where it is available
  • tell why your suggestion is good for him

Dear friend,

I hope this letter finds you in good health and mood. I am writing to suggest you some products to be exported from my country.

As you perhaps know, Ukraine is famous for its vineyards and wines. It is no exaggeration to say that due to an appropriate climate and old traditions of winegrowing the wine industry is among the Europe’s Top-20 ones. Thus, the local distilleries produce a variety of vintage wines to fit any taste. Specifically, I would highly recommend you the ‘Koktebel’ winery whose top-quality wines are widely available for reasonable prices. You can just contact their sales department to find out details.

You see, in Ukraine, the retail price of wine is less than $3 per bottle, so there is a good chance that the winery will offer you the wholesale price of $1-1.5 depending on a type. For instance, in Poland, where spending power is much greater, you could sell this for $5-10, which is twice as less than average price of both French and Italian wines. Therefore, the Ukrainian wines can be at premium there.

Hoping this information is useful,

Andreas.

Total: 187

Letters 7 and 8 are coming very very soon!!!