Using articles in the listening test.

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Mohammed

Using articles in the listening test.

Post by Mohammed »

Hello Ryan,

I need to clarify how to use articles in the answer sheet of listening test.When I am unsure whether to write any article(the, a,an)or not,can I write them in brackets like this?:
(a) balloon trip

So,will it be counted as a wrong answer?

Also,I have made some complete speaking mock tests,but I couldn't upload them as they are mostly more than 10 mb.How can I send them for checking.Can I send them to you by e-mail?I need to know my weak points and I have only 9 days till the exam.I new target is 7.5 in speaking.

Thanks.
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Re: Using articles in the listening test.

Post by OnlineEnglishTeacher »

Mohammed wrote:Hello Ryan,

I need to clarify how to use articles in the answer sheet of listening test.When I am unsure whether to write any article(the, a,an)or not,can I write them in brackets like this?:
(a) balloon trip

Also,I have made some complete speaking mock tests,but I couldn't upload them as they are mostly more than 10 mb.How can I send them for checking.Can I send them to you by e-mail?I need to know my weak points and I have only 9 days till the exam.I new target is 7.5 in speaking.

Thanks.
I am not so sure about Listening, as mainly teach the Writing and Speaking, although would not have thought it a very safe idea to use brackets - however Larry might have some tips: http://ieltsbootcamp.com/ielts-listening-tips or you could maybe message him in the forum: http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/memberlist. ... ile&u=1432.

Re: your audio, maybe you could separate it into parts, or otherwise put it on Youtube.com and link to it/embed it?
Free Ebook For IELTS Tips

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"
Ryan

Re: Using articles in the listening test.

Post by Ryan »

Mohammed wrote:Hello Ryan,

(a) balloon trip

Thanks.
Hi Mohammed,

As you know, the question will tell you restrictions for word numbers (i.e. "WRITE NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS.)", so step one is to adhere to the instructions. It's also important to remember that examiners are human beings. A student that adheres to word count and writes "a balloon trip" is not going to be marked any differently than a student that writes "balloon trip".

I'm sorry to hear you haven't been able to upload the files. I've changed the board settings to accept files as large as 11 MB, so please retry the upload. It should work now.