question in ielts writing

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Ehab

question in ielts writing

Post by Ehab »

Hello everybody, how are you? hope everyone are doing well.
I have a question in ielts writing, can i use the sentence "in the same vein" as a linking word in order to add information such as "moreover"
because i've used it and my tutor said its wrong and doesn't make sense.

thanks and regards
Ryan

Re: question in ielts writing

Post by Ryan »

Hi Ehab,

I don't want to step on your tutor's toes, but "in the same vein" should be OK for use on the IELTS. Perhaps you were not using it accurately. Try Googling "in the same vein" for examples of its use in published texts.
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Post by OnlineEnglishTeacher »

Ehab wrote:Hello everybody, how are you? hope everyone are doing well.
I have a question in ielts writing, can i use the sentence "in the same vein" as a linking word in order to add information such as "moreover"
because i've used it and my tutor said its wrong and doesn't make sense.

thanks and regards
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/in_the_same_vein
Free Ebook For IELTS Tips

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"
Ehab

Post by Ehab »

Dear Ryan,
Thank you very much for your reply. I was writing about advantages of a certain subject, i wrote the 1st advantage and when i finished it i started the second idea for advantages with "in the same vein".
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Ehab wrote:Dear Ryan,
Thank you very much for your reply. I was writing about advantages of a certain subject, i wrote the 1st advantage and when i finished it i started the second idea for advantages with "in the same vein".
Perhaps to be safe regarding your teacher, you could also use: "Additionally, a further benefit can be perceived to be..."

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Ehab wrote:Dear Ryan,
Hi Ehab,

I'd suggest sticking to the advice of your tutor. Based on your posts, it appears you have serious grammatical challenges that need to be corrected. Your tutor is likely making these challenges a priority, and perhaps they want to address these issues before teaching you cohesive devices like "in the same vein".

To answer your question, "In the same vein, ..." could be used to start the second supporting paragraph of an argument essay if the points being made in the two paragraphs are quite similar in nature.
Ehab

Post by Ehab »

Thank you very much for your replies and information. He said that he have not used this sentence before and its weird to him.. :D
Ryan i'm still waiting for your reading materials.
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Ehab wrote:Thank you very much for your replies and information. He said that he have not used this sentence before and its weird to him.. :D
Ryan i'm still waiting for your reading materials.
It is an advanced phrase and likely fairly common to British native speakers, however perhaps slightly less usual for non-native speakers etc., so maybe your teacher still has quite advanced English.

Ehab

Post by Ehab »

Thank you for your reply and information, thats true he is not a native english speaker he is tunisisan.