march 2016 india ielts question

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
ucheoma

march 2016 india ielts question

Post by ucheoma »

Nowadays, the difference between countries are becoming less evident because we see the same TV shows, advertisement, fashions and follow the same brands. To what extent the advantages of this trend outweigh its disadvantages

The trend in today’s world sees that different countries watch the same programs on the media as well as follow common trends in fashion. It is often argued if this is a positive or negative trend. In my opinion, I think is a positive one for the reason that this brings about integration of different parts of the world and also tolerance among nations is better equipped.

On the one hand, this trend tends to unify our already separating world as some countries which were in the past labelled enemies now come to see their other nations in a show on television. For an instance, Israel which has always been known to be an enemy to Palestine, can now get to know about both countries and appreciate each other when either country watches a documentary about the other on TV. Also, through these programming, the world can see itself as one thereby encouraging unity among all people. Aside from the programming, global trade is encouraged as people get to see the same type of jingle on the television which will is of good health to the trade industry. People will not get to be convinced to a great deal as more people all over the world already knows of the product on sale through programming

On the other hand, opponents of the above view criticize this trend for two basic reasons. Firstly, they argue that there will be no variety in things anymore. The world should have option and different people should do their own things differently as things are better appreciated if variety exist. For example, having the same advert of product will lead to selling the same type of things globally and thereby remove competition in the markets. Lastly, they have also cited that having this type of trend will see a dominance of the developed countries at the expense of the under developing ones. They see it that more programs of the western culture will be shown more since these places are easily accessible when compared to the under developed world. This can lead to neglect of the less developed nations

In conclusion, I think that having a unified programming on TV will encourage unity and tolerance among nations and also global trade will be enhanced since everyone sees the same advert and follow the same fashion. Although the opponents of the view have their reasons as endangering the market through less competition as well as dominance of the developed world on programs, I do not see these as authentic reasons enough since there will be some regulatory bodies that will look into those fears.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: march 2016 india ielts question

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!

In the first main paragraph, I think the Israel-Palestine example is wishful thinking - at the moment. I don't understand the last sentence in that paragraph at all.

In the second main paragraph, you need to explain why it is bad for people in different countries to want the same thing, especially given your conclusion.

The conclusion is unclear, both in relation to the main paraagraphs and with refernece to the 'regulatory bodies' (?).

Overall, the lack of grammatical range and appropriate vocabulary makes it difficult to understand what the writer is trying to say. Main ideas are not clearly explained.

All the best,
David