Writing Task 2 7+

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
Aky

Writing Task 2 7+

Post by Aky »

Prison is the only truly effective form of punishment, because it separates criminals
from society.” To what extent do you support this view?
You should give reasons for your answer, and include ideas and examples from your own
knowledge and experience.

There is no doubt that we need to find effective forms of punishment for criminals, and also
find ways to protect citizens from the threat of crime. I personally feel that prison is only one of a
range of options we should use, and is not always the most effective.

Firstly, I do not accept that all criminals need to be separated from society. Juvenile and
minor offenders can be punished through fines, community service or other non-custodial means. This
is cheaper than prison, and prevents the damage to the criminal’s family which in itself could generate
further social problems. Furthermore, by keeping these small-scale criminals in society, we can try to
rehabilitate them, for example through training or education programmes. This will help to reduce reoffending
in future.

Besides this, if offenders are believed to be a threat to their fellow citizens, there are ways of
containing them such as electronic tagging, curfews or regular reporting to the police. Such methods
have been shown to be effective in reducing criminal behaviour and are themselves quite a strong
punishment, as they restrict an offender’s freedom greatly. Finally, we should remember that prisons
are to some extent ‘schools of crime’ and in many cases prisoners end their jail terms as more
capable and determined criminals than when they entered.
Of course, it is true that in certain cases we need to both punish criminals and isolate them
from other people. I recognise that violent or dangerous people need to be imprisoned – yet I believe
this applies to a small minority of instances.

To conclude, I feel that prison is a last resort in cases where there is no alternative. This does
not make it the only effective punishment, but rather the most severe among a variety of possibilities.
(290 words)
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Writing Task 2 7+

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!

This is a good essay with nice vocabulary, very good grammar and clear points which are somewhat developed.

Well done!
David
Raj1990

Post by Raj1990 »

NOWADAYS PEOPLE DRINK MORE SUGAR BASED DRINKS WHAT IS REASON FOR THAT.WHAT CAN BE DONE TO REDUCE THEIR CONSUMPTION ?
It is an undeniable fact that nowadays mostly people havedrinks highly sugar cold drinks. There are many causes for increasing this problem and some measures to overcome this trend which i will discuss in the following paragraphs.
To commence with, there are numerous reasons to believe that why people take such types of drinks. Firstly,it is easily available not only n the markets but also across available in every nook and corner of the nation. In addition, it is available in variou flavors like,lime,orange banana and so on. Secondly,many celebrities such as film stars and players advertise all these drinks that is why more people influence to have it because they are the role model for our society. Thirdly, many soft drinks companies provide attractive offer for citizens for instance,if anyon purchaes three bottles of cold drinks then he can get one bottle free with the pack.
Turning to the possible solutions, many citizens are of the view that people should have pure fruits juice rather than sugar contains drinks since it is more beneficial for health for example mango,apple,guava juices. Furthermore, the government should provide fresh fruits and should open vegetables soup corner in every part of the country so that mostly people could enjoy such types of drinks vis a vis sugar based drinks. Apart from this, the government should organise health educational seminars in the country because sugar contained drinks lead may diseases like,obesity,high sugar level and high blood pressure. All these steps can be reduced selling of highly glucose based drinks.
To recapitulate,in my point of view,excessive use of cold drinks can be harmful for health and i believe that health related programs are the golden key to minimize highly sugar based drinks. It is a positive step to keep healthy.
Flick
Grammar Checker
Grammar Checker

Post by Flick »

Aky wrote:Prison is the only truly effective form of punishment, because it separates criminals
from society.” To what extent do you support this view?
You should give reasons for your answer, and include ideas and examples from your own
knowledge and experience.

There is no doubt that we need to find effective forms of punishment for criminals, and also find ways to protect citizens from the threat of crime. I personally feel that prison is only one of a range of options we should use, and is not always the most effective.

Firstly, I do not accept that all criminals need to be separated from society. Juvenile and minor offenders can be punished through fines, community service or other non-custodial means. This is cheaper than prison, and prevents damage to the criminal’s family which, in itself, could generate further social problems. Furthermore, by keeping these small-scale criminals in society, we can try to rehabilitate them, for example through training or education programmes. This will help to reduce reoffending in the future.

Besides this, if offenders are believed to be a threat to their fellow citizens, there are ways of containing them such as electronic tagging, curfews or regular reporting to the police. Such methods have been shown to be effective in reducing criminal behaviour and are themselves quite a strong punishment, as they greatly restrict an offender’s freedom. Finally, we should remember that prisons are to some extent ‘schools of crime’ and in many cases prisoners end their jail terms as more capable and determined criminals than when they entered.

Of course, it is true that in certain cases we need to both punish criminals and isolate them from other people. I recognise that violent or dangerous people need to be imprisoned. Yet I believe this applies to a small minority of instances.

To conclude, I feel that prison is a last resort in cases where there is no alternative. This does not make it the only effective punishment, but rather the most severe among a variety of possibilities.
(290 words)
Flick
Grammar Checker
Grammar Checker

Post by Flick »

Raj1990 wrote:NOWADAYS PEOPLE DRINK MORE SUGAR BASED DRINKS WHAT IS REASON FOR THAT.WHAT CAN BE DONE TO REDUCE THEIR CONSUMPTION ?

It is an undeniable fact that nowadays people often have drinks that are high in sugar. There are many causes for this problem, and some measures to overcome this trend which I will discuss in the following paragraphs.

To begin with, there are numerous reasons why people prefer sugary drinks. Firstly, they are easily available not only in markets but also across every nook and corner of the nation. In addition, they come in various flavors like lime, orange, banana and so on. Secondly, many celebrities such as film stars and athletes advertise these drinks. These role models influence people's habits. Thirdly, many soft drink companies provide attractive offers. For instance, if three bottles are purchased, the fourth bottle is free.

Turning to the possible solutions, many citizens are of the view that people should drink pure fruit juice such as mango, apple or guava, rather than sugary drinks since they are more beneficial for health. Furthermore, the government should provide fresh fruits and should open vegetable corners in every part of the country so that people could enjoy healthier drinks rather than sugar based drinks. Apart from this, the government should organise educational seminars in the country because sugary drinks may cause diseases like obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure. All these solutions can help to reduce the consumption of sugar based drinks.

To recapitulate, in my opinion, excessive consumption of sugary drinks can be harmful for health and I believe that health related programs are the key to minimizing the popularity of sugar based drinks.