General reading need your two cents worth..please..

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
lady_artemis

General reading need your two cents worth..please..

Post by lady_artemis »

I went to practice on this website http://www.examenglish.com/IELTS
and took General Reading some of my answers were marked wrong because of the following:

1. no commas (ex: my answer -- 5000 words, computer answer -- 5,000 words)
2. english and british spelling "er vs re" (ex: my answer -- center, computer answer -- centre)
3. units abbreviation (ex: my answer -- 300gm, computer answer --300 grams)
4. one missing word (ex: my answer -- manage time, computer answer -- manage their time) instruction says no more than three words

example text: The use of the Academy's study and recreational facilities, including the Language Library, the computer suite, and the academy's sports facilities.

5. (my answer -- recreational facilities , computer answer --- facilities)
Question to text: Students will be able to use many of the Academy's ________ while they are studying.

**Are my answers really wrong? How to know which and when to use what?
durai

Re: General reading need your two cents worth..please..

Post by durai »

Hi Lady_artemis,

I can understand that many websites provide the same wrong corrections because they may not fed multiple options of answering that question.

If you go through the answers , it is quite obvious...like 30gm is same as 30 grams. For spelling use the word exactly form reading list then you no need to worry about whether it is British or American.

Lastly, the one you answered "recreational facilities " is wrong.

The use of the Academy's study and recreational facilities, including the Language Library, the computer suite, and the academy's sports facilities.

Question to text: Students will be able to use many of the Academy's ________ while they are studying.

so, you cannot mentioned only one facility, there are many facilities available. So the right answer is "facilities" just think of grammar before answer any question in reading and listening.

Keep practicing

Durai
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

durai wrote:Hi Lady_artemis,

I can understand that many websites provide the same wrong corrections because they may not fed multiple options of answering that question.

If you go through the answers , it is quite obvious...like 30gm is same as 30 grams. For spelling use the word exactly form reading list then you no need to worry about whether it is British or American.

Lastly, the one you answered "recreational facilities " is wrong.

The use of the Academy's study and recreational facilities, including the Language Library, the computer suite, and the academy's sports facilities.

so, you cannot mentioned only one facility, there are many facilities available. So the right answer is "facilities" just think of grammar before answer any question in reading and listening.

Keep practicing

Durai
Totally agree. All questions would be fine except question 5. As Durai points out, your "recreational facilities" does not include the "study facilities" side of the answer.
lady_artemis

Post by lady_artemis »

Thank you both. :D