Hello

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
naryl16

Hello

Post by naryl16 »

Hi everyone! I'm naryl! I'll be taking my IELTS Academic exam exactly 11 days from now. I'm particularly nervous with my writing test as I don't practice much plus I'm working. So I'm kinda looking for motivation and it what brought me here. :-)
naryl16

Re: Hello

Post by naryl16 »

Oh! I'm currently residing in Canada but I'm originally from Philippines and I'm taking my ielts to be able to apply for the canadian board exam. I already took IELTS exam 3 years back and scored Listening -7, Reading 7.5, Writing 6, Speaking- 7, with a OBS of 7. I'm hoping to improve my Writing and listening score to 7.5. If anyone could help me and give me tips especially with the time constraint that I have I'll totally appreciate it. :-)
jinidgenie

Post by jinidgenie »

Hello!!

All the best for your exam. I wrote IELTS a few weeks ago and here is what I did for the Writing section. I read a lot. It might seem confusing but I practiced writing the essay a couple of times to time myself but I read various topics for a couple of days. My problem with writing was not being able to write but not being able to come up with points to write. So, I started reading sample essays to learn more about various topics, read news papers, magazines, articles etc. I wanted to be sure I could write atleast three pros and cons for any topic given to be able to write an essay with atleast 250 words. So, I spend the first 10 mins to think about what I want to write (three pros and cons), write explaining those points for the 15-20 mins and then check for any errors.

I hope this helps!!
naryl16

Post by naryl16 »

jinidgenie wrote:Hello!!

All the best for your exam. I wrote IELTS a few weeks ago and here is what I did for the Writing section. I read a lot. It might seem confusing but I practiced writing the essay a couple of times to time myself but I read various topics for a couple of days. My problem with writing was not being able to write but not being able to come up with points to write. So, I started reading sample essays to learn more about various topics, read news papers, magazines, articles etc. I wanted to be sure I could write atleast three pros and cons for any topic given to be able to write an essay with atleast 250 words. So, I spend the first 10 mins to think about what I want to write (three pros and cons), write explaining those points for the 15-20 mins and then check for any errors.

I hope this helps!!
Thanks jinidgenie!! That's what I've been trying to do for the past days. I try to read at least 5 articles a day from time and bbc but I've been wondering if its even helping. I guess my problem is that I have a hard time trying to start an essay. Blame my scatterbrain but I also find it difficult to organize my thoughts. I would spend a good 15-20 minutes just thinking how or what I should write in my essay.

I would definitely try writing the pros and cons. Thanks