[Task 2] Machine translation. Is this writing a band 7?

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
AlbertGrau

[Task 2] Machine translation. Is this writing a band 7?

Post by AlbertGrau »

Machine translation (MT) is slower and less accurate than human translation and there is no immediate or predictable likelihood of machines taking over this role from humans.
Do you agree or disagree?

Nowadays, translation of documents and transcripts is a necessity in almost every field of culture and knowledge. Some argue that machine translation (MT) is the best way to translate, but I disagree with this statement because of several reasons.

Firstly, it is necessary to admit that machine translation is faster than human translation. However, this is only an apparent advantage. Whilst MT is a rapid method to translate, its results require a systematic process of reviewing. Because of this constraint, automatic translating can take as long times as that of manual translations. Therefore, the main argument advocating MT, optimization of translating duration, should not be taken into account because of its not error free nature. In contrast, this timing aspects are very convenient to routine tasks such as vocabulary acquisition or simple phrases proofreading.

Secondly, many documents require special translating considerations. For example, Harry Potter books are written in a simple manner, with a very characteristic vocabulary. Thus, these books must be carefully translated in order to maintain the J.K. Rowling writing style. In consequence, since this constraint is applicable in a wide range of documents, machine translation can not be seen as a viable translating tool. In considering this factor, it is clear that human translation is the very first option when faced against machine translation.

In conclusion, machine translation should not be considered as a real option when translating books and important documents. However, MT is a quite recommendable tool for those trying to extend their vocabulary and grammar skills in a new foreign language, because of its easy and fast utilization.
will.nguyen

Re: [Task 2] Machine translation. Is this writing a band 7?

Post by will.nguyen »

The comments below are purely my opinions. (I only score 6.5 for IELTS writing)

I believe your first body paragraph is very confusing. First you said that MT is fast, then you argue against it, and finally you conclude that MT is still a good thing. I am not sure about that. I believe the last part should be put first, together with the "fast" thing.

In addition, "However, this is only an apparent advantage" should not be put into use here because later on, you prove that MT could be used for acquisition of new vocabulary and blah blah.

However, overall, your essay should be worth 7.0 or more. Good vocabulary. I mean really good vocabulary.
Flick
Grammar Checker
Grammar Checker

Re: [Task 2] Machine translation. Is this writing a band 7?

Post by Flick »

AlbertGrau wrote:Machine translation (MT) is slower and less accurate than human translation and there is no immediate or predictable likelihood of machines taking over this role from humans.
Do you agree or disagree?

Nowadays, translation of documents and transcripts is a necessity in almost every field of culture and knowledge. Some argue that machine translation (MT) is the best way to translate, but I disagree with this statement for several reasons.

Firstly, it is necessary to acknowledge that machine translation is faster than human translation. However, this is only an apparent advantage. Whilst MT is a rapid method of translation, its results require a systematic process of reviewing. Because of this constraint, automatic translating can take much longer than manual translating. Therefore, the main argument advocating MT, optimization of translating duration, should not be taken into account because of its error-filled nature. In contrast, this timing aspect is very convenient for routine tasks such as vocabulary acquisition or simple phrase proofreading.

Secondly, many documents require special translating considerations. For example, the Harry Potter books are written in a simple manner, with a very characteristic vocabulary. Thus, these books must be carefully translated in order to maintain the J.K. Rowling writing style. In consequence, since this constraint is applicable to a wide range of documents, machine translation can not be seen as a viable translating tool. In considering this factor, it is clear that human translation is the better option when compared with machine translation.

In conclusion, machine translation should not be considered as a real option when translating books and important documents. However, MT is a quite a useful tool for those trying to extend their vocabulary and grammar skills in a new foreign language, because of its easy and fast utilization.