Space exploration is waste of money (?) - IELTS essay

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
danyocean

Space exploration is waste of money (?) - IELTS essay

Post by danyocean »

SkypeID: daniarsupriyadi - Indonesia

Some people think that money spent on space exploration is a waste and could be better used to fund other urgent problems in society. To what extent do you agree?

Some developed countries spent a huge sum of money on space exploration, and some people argue it is a waste and it would be more beneficial if the money is allocated to other serious problems in societies. Nevertheless, I am convinced that this expenditure is worth spending due to some reasons.

Some people object to this expenditure because of several reasons. One is that there is an absence of contribution of space exploration’s outputs to increase human’s quality of life as certain numbers of people suffer from starving and poverty. In their opinion, the money will be worth if spent to help the needy. It is unfair to spend a lot of money on space projects, and in some parts of the world, the money is desperately needed to tackle problems like corruption and environmental issues, which is a more terrible matter right now.

However, I would counter these arguments. Of these, the main advantages of space exploration are gaining opportunity to discover some of the undiscovered facts and valuable knowledge about space. This is extremely important for development of science which is a foundation of almost all problem solving strategies as well as lead to a technological breakthrough. For example, we may discover a new element or material, which is probably more efficient as an alternative of energy source. Secondly, human should not rely solely on earth for their long-term future. The potential catastrophes such as volcanos, nuclear disaster, and asteroid impacts can totally destroy human life. Consequently, space exploration is needed to discover an alternative planet for human beings.

In conclusion, I personally agree on space exploration projects due to various benefits such as bringing an invention in science and technology, and saving human race from major catastrophes.
(290)