Block capitals in the writing test

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
ccc812

Block capitals in the writing test

Post by ccc812 »

Hi forum,

Silly question, can you use block capitals all the way through, in the writing task.
I find myself writing now in block capitals and although it has grammar, not sure if I need to practice to write properly again.

Thanks.
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Re: Block capitals in the writing test

Post by OnlineEnglishTeacher »

ccc812 wrote:Hi forum,

Silly question, can you use block capitals all the way through, in the writing task.
I find myself writing now in block capitals and although it has grammar, not sure if I need to practice to write properly again.

Thanks.
If you can write quickly enough with block letters (upper and lower-case letters where appropriate) and clearly, then go for it - however cursive writing (connected letters) might be quicker and better: if absolutely clear and would also look more professional :-).
Free Ebook For IELTS Tips

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"
Ryan

Re: Block capitals in the writing test

Post by Ryan »

Hi ccc812,

Don't use block capitals in your writing. Writing an essay in all caps is a grammatical and stylistic no-no. Printing or cursive is fine.

Using all caps on your listening test, however, is acceptable. Varun talks about this strategy in my chat with him here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE1iVB25pp8