Pls grade my Task 2 writing: Foreign Language Study

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
larry_li

Pls grade my Task 2 writing: Foreign Language Study

Post by larry_li »

I greatly appreciate if you can evaluate my essay. Thank you very much~ :)

Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?

The highly globalised economy means that most jobs require people to interact and communicate with clients and business partners from all over the world which makes the ability to speak a foreign language fluently a highly sought-after skill. Professionals dispute on whether a child should start studying a second language at primary school or secondary school. In my own view, the former is more preferable.

People who believe that foreign languages should be left for secondary school curricula argue that introducing a second language too early on can be very stressful and discouraging to a child. It is because the existing curriculum is already overloaded. Adding another subject will to too much for a child to bear. In addition, new language beginners often score poorly in their exams. And young children are not as capable as teenagers to handle failures which might discourage them from continuing their foreign language classes.

However, many, including myself, think these shortcomings can be easily alleviated with well-designed curricula and the advantages of introducing children to a foreign language early on makes it all worth the while. First and foremost, it is a well-established fact that people stand a better chance to completely master a foreign language during their formative and developing years. If children miss this opportunity, the odd for them to acquire the ability to speak a second language fluently is significantly reduced.

Moreover, teaching a second language in primary school fosters a respectful and diverse environment. Learning a second language exposes students to other cultures. Such exposure enables schoolchildren to appreciate and respect the differences among various ethnic groups and, to a larger extent, everyone.

Therefore, in conclusion, I believe that foreign language study should begin in primary school to ensure students have a better chance to succeed and to instil in students a respectful mindset. It is hoped that relevant authorities can come up with a thoroughly designed plan to introduce foreign languages in primary schools to minimise any potential disadvantages.

(330 words)
Flick
Grammar Checker
Grammar Checker

Re: Pls grade my Task 2 writing: Foreign Language Study

Post by Flick »

larry_li wrote: Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?

Today's highly globalised economy means that most jobs require people to interact and communicate with clients and business partners from all over the world, which makes the ability to speak a foreign language fluently a highly sought-after skill. Professionals dispute whether a child should start studying a second language at primary school or secondary school. In my own view, the former is more preferable.

People who believe that foreign languages should be left for secondary school curricula argue that introducing a second language too early can be very stressful and discouraging to a child because the existing curriculum is already overloaded. Adding another subject will to too much for a child to bear. In addition, new language learners often score poorly in their exams. And young children are not as capable as teenagers to handle failures, which might discourage them from continuing their foreign language classes.

However, many, including myself, think these shortcomings can be easily alleviated with well-designed curricula. The advantages of introducing children to a foreign language early on make it all worthwhile. First and foremost, it is a well-established fact that people stand a better chance to completely master a foreign language during their formative and developing years. If children miss this opportunity, the odds of them acquiring the ability to speak a second language fluently is significantly reduced.

Moreover, teaching a second language in primary school fosters a respectful and diverse environment. Learning a second language exposes students to other cultures. Such exposure enables schoolchildren to appreciate and respect the differences among various ethnic groups and, to a larger extent, everyone.

Therefore, in conclusion, I believe that foreign language study should begin in primary school to ensure students have a better chance to succeed and to instil in students a respectful mindset. It is hoped that relevant authorities can come up with a thoroughly designed plan to introduce foreign languages in primary schools to minimise any potential disadvantages.

(330 words)